It’s the beginning of a new year, and many of you might have a long list of new year’s resolutions for how to make 2022 the best year ever. Perhaps some of your goals aim at making you live more healthily. Maybe, you intend to eat better this year, do more exercise, and make room for meditation and reading in your daily routine. We strongly recommend you do. Why? Because living a healthy life with enough sleep, good food, regular exercise, and mental breaks increase your life quality and makes you more productive.
What Is a Healthy Life?
Being healthy means something different to everyone. For some, eating a generous amount of fatty foods is healthy due to their high metabolism, whereas it could be fatal to eat a lot of fats for others. When creating a healthy life for yourself, you always need to take your individuality into account. Furthermore, we are not health experts, physical trainers, or nutritionists. What we offer here is our advice on how to use good health to become better at everything else you do.
A healthy life, generally speaking, consists of the following 5 things:
- Nourishing food: Depending on your body type, what type of food is meant can differ. Sugar, fats and carbs are not bad in themselves. They’re only bad when you consume more than your body needs. Generally speaking, organic produce is always better for our bodies, so if you don’t know where to start, start there.
- Physical activity: We were born on the savannah with a highly active lifestyle. Our bodies need to move in order to live up to their full potential. Movement keeps us young, flexible, strong and healthy.
- Mental clarity: Mental health is just as important as physical health, yet it is sometimes harder to achieve than physical well-being. Great starting points to achieve a balanced mind is meditation, therapy, and journaling.
- Social connection: Humans are social creatures, so in order to live a healthy life, you need to have people in your life who care about you and create a sense of belonging for you. Friends, family, colleagues. If you don’t have any of these, go find communities and people you can help out.
- Enough rest: Life isn’t just about doing and consuming, but also about taking a rest sometimes. A pause refills our energy, our creativity, and our happiness. We need it to be fully present and in touch with ourselves.
When our bodies and our minds feel good, it is a lot easier to be productive, to contribute, and to think big.
Creating Good Habits
Creating a healthy lifestyle takes time because it requires you to build good habits that support your health. At the beginning of January when we’re pumped up with motivation from our cool new year resolutions, we take healthy action. But we rarely stick to them, and so they stay healthy actions and don’t transform into healthy habits. We lack commitment.
The journey of creating good habits is exactly that: a journey. So the first step of the process of building habits is to understand that it will take time and commitment. You will not reach your destination if you don’t keep on walking your path.
To break the process down simply:
- Define what healthy habit you would like build
- Describe it precisely – when, where, and how are you going to do the habit?
- Create an environment that makes it easy to do it
- Do it
It is very simple, but it requires commitment from your side. It will be tough in the beginning, but as soon as the actions have turned into a habit and you start to see the benefits and how your life changes, it will become a lot easier to do daily until you do it on autopilot.
Once your life builds upon great healthy habits, you will start to feel better, do better, be better. You are recharging your batteries, so you can work at full speed, full energy, full power. If you want to read more about creating epic habits, read on here!
Healthy Life for Healthy Change
At Moonshot Pirates, we believe in walking our talk. There is nothing powerful and no leadership in saying one thing and doing something else. And as we hope you want to make the world a better place, we also hope you want to make yourself a better human. We are what we do. That’s why creating healthy habits and a healthy life for yourself is so important. It all goes hand in hand. So make sure you’re creating a life yourself where you can be at your best and where you life what you preach. That’s the pirates way.